Monday, August 20, 2007

Of Teethers and Tools


Yesterday Emma's top teether finally cut through. I would have expected her to be miserable beforehand. But quite frankly, we've had a wonderful few weeks with her. She's been so happy and is learning so much.

This week Emma has been learning to use tools. A few days ago, I was brushing my hair. She asked for the brush and I gave it to her. She then proceeded to hold it upside-down while she "brushed" my hair. I was so proud of her.

Yesterday we introduced her to the use of a fork. I expected her to blunder a bit with it and eventually decide to pull the food off of the fork with her fingers before eating it. That's not what she did at all. I stabbed the food for her and then placed the fork on her high-chair tray with the handle facing toward her so she could grab it easily. She deftly picked the fork up and used it properly. I was pretty amazed, though I suppose the concept isn't entirely new to her. Dave and I have always fed her food off of our own forks.

Another "tool" Emma enjoys using is a little net she has for the bathtub. It came with a few floaty fish toys. She correctly understood that the net is for scooping fishies. She's gotten quite good at catching them. We clap for her every time she's successful.

No comments: